Hester Harris

November 12, 1950  -  August 30, 2010
 

Just heard this sad news (7/22/14). Hester and I went to high school together in West Lafayette, IN where her father (like mine) taught at Purdue U. She was a tremendous influence on me, convincing me to oppose the Vietnam War. We had been back in touch by email in the last ten years. Sorry to hear of this loss. My condolences to her friends and her two brothers.

Here's something I wrote about Hester a while back.
When these Birchers, especially a retired Colonel with kids in the schools, got wind of our plan to have an event onViet Nam, they swung into action.  There would be a convocation, but it would be properly framed.  They brought in M. Stanton Evans, a conservative pundit, contributor to National Review and managing editor of the Indianapolis News, as the speaker.  
            Normally, as student body president, I would have put on my herring bone sport coat and paisley tie, and introduced the speaker, but this time, the Colonel handled it.  I was just another kid in the audience.  Evans's talk was long and dry, but things warmed up during the q-and-a.  I asked a question myself, but it was innocuous. I still thought we could and should win the war.  Wasn't it true, I asked, that North Vietnam, and especially Hanoi, is dependent on Haiphong for supplies?  What if we were to mine the harbor?  Wouldn't the war be over in a week?  I was showing off. I knew about Haiphong.  Here was a silver bullet McNamara had overlooked.  For some reason, I thought that I had something on Evans, but he simply agreed with me, adding that my time frame was too optimistic, but yeah, sure, let's squash 'em.
            Then Hester Harris walked down the aisle toward the audience mic.  A senior like me, she was barely five feet tall.  Her black hair was long and straight in the Joan Baez style of the coasts, and she was wearing an orange mini-skirt, purple tights and cowboy boots.  She looked great, though my frat boy persona wouldn't let me admit it, even to myself.  Hester was our hippie-in-residence, and a real hippie at that.  Her father was Mark Harris, the author of the Henry Wiggens baseball novels, including Bang the Drum Slowly, and he had come to Purdue that year as visiting writer from San Francisco State.  Hester had grown up in San Francisco, had actually hung out in Haight-Ashbury.  She had already caused a fuss in the school paper, acknowledging that yes, she had smoked dope and yes, she was against the war, and yes (and this was the clincher) she believed in free love.  When she headed down the aisle, everyone knew she was about to cause a fuss. 
            "Mr. Evans, isn't it true that the war in Viet Nam is a civil war and no business of ours?  And furthermore, isn't it true that officials of our own government have acknowledged that if open, nationwide elections were held in Viet Nam today, Ho Chi Minh would almost assuredly be elected president of a united Viet Nam?"
            Evans pooh-poohed her with some version of the domino theory, but for me at least, Hester's clarity, assurance and mini-skirt had stolen the day. 
            After the convo we all milled around down front so we wouldn't have to head straight back to our fifth period classes, and Hester and I talked.
            "We have no right to mine their harbors," she began. "What if they mined one of ours?"
            "That was a good question, Hester. You really nailed him." 
            She smiled and locked me in with some serious eye contact.  She looked pleased, but I couldn't tell if it was because of my compliment or because she knew had me off guard.  Then, she answered her own question.
            "We'd scream bloody murder and drop an atom bomb on them." 
            Everything she was saying seemed right, but I couldn't admit to it yet, so I flirted some more.
            "Not as long as you've got the floor, Hester."
            She smiled again. "Yeah, well, I've got something I want to show you.  I'll bring it in tomorrow." 
            The Colonel was at the mike now, ordering everyone to return to their classes.
             Hester met me at my locker the next morning with a copy of Ramparts magazine.  It was a year old--the January, 1967 issue--and pretty dog-eared.  It featured a 25-page color spread entitled "The Children of Viet Nam" that showed little kids who'd been napalmed.  They were blistered and scarred and some were missing digits or limbs. I read the article during study hall--the text was by Dr. Spock--but mostly I looked at the pictures. The eyes of the burned babies shook me loose and I decided Hester was right--the war was wrong and we should get out now. 
            Years later I would read that Martin Luther King had bought that same issue of Ramparts at an airport newsstand on his way to Jamaica and been similarly affected.  I wondered how many people that article had nudged toward active opposition.  Reading it and looking at those pictures must have been akin to reading Uncle Tom's Cabin in the 1850s.
            Hester wanted me to support McCarthy, but I held back.  I told her I didn't think he could win, but in retrospect I think it was largely a failure of nerve on my part.  I didn't know anyone but Hester who was supporting McCarthy, and I wasn't ready to be called a hippie.'
(The remembrance above was written by Ned French.)

 PLEASE - Share your memories of this classmate on this page by writing a "comment" below.  Thank you!   ("Comment as Anonymous" is the simple way to do this.  You can share your name, if you wish to, at the end of what you write.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment