Derek McDaniel


(Minimal or no biographical information has been submitted for this classmate of ours.    It would be most appreciated if you could help us either get an obituary (or similar) notice for this individual or write (or get someone you know to write) a summary of this classmate’s life to be posted here.  Thank you!)

PLEASE - If you knew this classmate write memories to share with others as a "comment" below.  Thank you!   ("Comment as Anonymous" is the simple way to do this.  You can share your name, if you wish to, at the end of what you write.)

3 comments:

  1. Derek McDaniel was one of my best friends growing up in WL. He was one of the greatest runners in WLHS history, winning the sectional in his senior year and setting several course records that season. The two summers I spent with him and our XC team working out and running long distances in and around the country roads of WL are among my best memories. More than that, he was a kind, gentle, and somewhat shy soul, with a strange but infectious sense of humor. He went on to achieve great success in his studies at Purdue and, I believe, was preparing to attend graduate school at the time of his death. He is remembered and missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The memorial above was, and remains, mine. Every year at this time, when I see cross country teams out training in the parks or on the roads, I think of Derek. I remember how free he seemed running, usually at the front of our team pack, and of all the life that he has missed. Rest in peace, my friend. I think the best memorial we can give you is to reach out to others who may be going through a difficult time or struggling with depression, erring on the side of saying something instead of keeping silent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Derek passed when I was in Oregon and I did not make it home for the funeral. Derek was my absolute best friend and he helped me through so many difficult times as I adjusted to moving from Pennsylvania to Indiana as a Junior in High School. I will forever miss him, cherish him, be thankful to him for all his kindness. I have peace knowing that he is in a better place with his beloved Mom.

    ReplyDelete